Saturday, October 30, 2010

Peas & Carrots

My wife and I have been married just a little over a year.  In that time, we’ve experienced a few things that we both felt compelled to do in this life.  Fenway Park was one of them.  After our wedding night we flew to Boston, MA and spent three glorious days touring the city.  We really didn’t have much of a plan, which you may find to be amazing, but we didn’t.  Simply put, we woke up and let the day take us newlyweds where it may.
Some days it took us to very historic places, Fenway Park for example.  Boston is chocked full of history, much of it of the colonial nature.  To stroll the same streets that Paul Revere once frequented, and eat at the oldest operating restaurant in America were treats that history buffs should do at least once.  I love history, especially United States history, and three days in Boston was quite simply nothing more than a tease.
I could spend years in Boston and New England and still not get to see everything I wanted to take in.  Some of the highlights of our trip included Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, Fenway Park, the North End neighborhood, and a stroll that took us to the USS Constitution (which was ironically closed the day we went) and a trip long, intimate knowledge of the MBTA subway system.  We even kept our Charlie Cards from the trip.
While walking around Boston though, I couldn’t help but feel somewhat like Forrest Gump.  I’d finally found my Jenny.  My wife, we’ll call her Kiwi from now on…she and I have a bit more conventional relationship than Forrest and Jenny did, but you get the point.  I look at Kiwi the way Forrest looks at Jenny.  She can plan all kinds of things for me and I don’t care, because I’m with my Jenny.  I’m much like Forrest in that I’m just happy to be included in Kiwi’s party.
The cool thing about Forrest is that he lives this awesome life that he doesn’t realize happens around him, because he’s so focused on the love of his life. 
I’m proud to admit that Forrest Gump is one of my heroes.

1 comment:

  1. "The cool thing about Forrest is that he lives this awesome life that he doesn’t realize happens around him, because he’s so focused on the love of his life."
    Did you rip that off of a professional movie review somewhere? That's brilliant. I have never been able to pinpoint exactly why I think Forrest Gump is so amazing until reading that...that's it.
    Glad I got to catch up on your blog today, Patrick. Really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete