Monday, October 25, 2010

Planners of the Apes

My wife is a planner. That's just who she is. She has a plan for even the most simplistic of tasks. Let me be the first person to tell you that I am very lucky to even be in the same room with her, let alone have the privilege of being her husband. Usually within 15 minutes of us being up and moving around first thing in the morning, she asks the question: so what's your plan for today?

Some days I have one. Most days I don't. I'm a pretty laid back guy and usually roll with the punches of what comes at me in life and rarely does that mean that I have a plan for the day.

On days that I have a plan, it's all about checking stuff off the list. Clean the bathroom, check. Go to the grocery store, check. Take the guest bedroom to storage, check. Paint the old guest bedroom new nursery colors, check.

On days that I don't have a “plan”, per se, I still have a checklist, but it's only in my head. Sleep in, check. Go out to breakfast for over easy eggs, check. Figure out what time my team is playing their football game, check. Figure out what other football game I can try to convince my wife that we should watch because we have a connection to that school, check. You get the picture...

With Baby Razz on the way my planning has become more methodical. Yes, I called him Baby Razz. Raspberries are some of my most favorite fruits in the world. Growing up on a secluded farm wild raspberries were everywhere and I could eat my weight in them right off the briar if given the chance. When my wife was reading What to Expect When You're Expecting at the end of certain chapters it would say Week 8 – Your baby is the size of a Lima Bean (think of different small objects, and they compared your future child to it). Well, one day the comparison was to a raspberry. Bingo, our child had his first name of his life.

To get me back on subject though...planning for a baby takes much more diligence and daily planning. There are grandparent visits to arrange, doctors visits to attend, feeding and sleeping schedules to adhere to...there is much to incorporate into a day of a life of a child.  To paraphrase Crash Davis, "we're dealing with a lot of stuff here!"  Maybe my wife is subconsciously testing me...maybe she is trying to find a way to brighten my day (she often does) or maybe, just maybe....she is just being her.


No comments:

Post a Comment