Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dream On

Song #3 in my ultimate box set playlist comes to you from 1992, at least that was when i was first introduced. I was a junior in high school and in the midst of forming my complex simplistic music listening habits.  As a 16 year old trumpet player in my high school band, cool points were few and far between.  Awkwardness was a daily visitor in my world.
Aerosmith had released Livin’ On the Edge around that time.  It was one of the hot records of the year, and of course I was a fan.   There was a mother of a fellow band member who was a single mom, full time student that turned out to be a great friend.  She knew and understood the awkward time period that high school and being a teenager presented.
She gave me one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.  Aerosmith’s original 45 self titled album.  There was Steven Tyler in all his 1970’s glory.  Pimply faced, gangly and as awkward as I was.  I was hooked.  Dream On had me enthralled.  I made a cassette tape of that album and wore it out in the tape deck of my car.  I had a ravenous appetite for old school Aerosmith.  Dream On started it all for me.  I’m forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment