Sunday, December 12, 2010

Just Do It

Three little words that changed a generation.  Some executive marketing professional came up with this slogan to sell shoes, sweatshirts and anything else with a swoosh on it, and it worked to perfection.  By displaying their marketing genius and prowess, they crippled the generation they changed.
Very few people repair things anymore.  Some things it makes sense to just buy a new one, but as a whole in this country, we are too quick to run out and purchase something new as to repair what was broken.
It comes down to a lack of skills.  I went to my local Goodwill Retail Store today just to look around to see if I could save some money.  You know, we have a baby coming any day now and I want to try to do my part.  Anyways, I find this nice dress shirt.  Expensive retail name brand, no holes, no stains, it was even my size.  The only thing I could find wrong with it was it was missing a button...one lousy button.  Now, news flash here,  on most men’s dress shirts the manufacturer sews on at least one, if not two, extra buttons in case one happens to fall off.
Yeah, this shirt still had those buttons on, but presumably had been donated because of the missing button further up the front of the shirt.
Now you may be asking yourself what Nike’s iconic marketing slogan and a shirt that is missing a button from my local Goodwill Store have in common.  Somewhere along the line, someone forgot how or just didn’t care enough to save himself $30 and sew on a button with a .99 cent sewing kit that you can get at your local convenience store.

There is this thing called Google that can pretty much help you figure out how to do most anything you’ll encounter on any given day.  Maybe it’s my work ethic or that I grew up on a farm.  Maybe it’s because I just don’t like asking for help, but I go out of my way to figure out things.  From the kitchen to my car, a sewing issue or a home improvement project, I take pride in rolling up my sleeves and…well, you know, just doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment