Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sleigh Ride

One of the odd things about being a former band geek is the little things that you miss about being a band geek.  One of the things that I miss the most is the Christmas music.  In order to be fully prepared for your holiday concert as a band member, you usually started rehearsing Christmas music around Halloween, through the Thanksgiving holiday and then performances ensued during the first few weeks of December.
Funny, but it always put me more in the Christmas spirit.
I have a few songs that still stir my Christmas spirit up, but the one that I always enjoyed performing was always Sleigh Ride.  Hands down my favorite Christmas song.  Maybe it’s the horse whiney the trumpet player always does.  The crack of the whip, the clip clop of the wood blocks the percussionists play and the syncopated off beats that the alto voices play, it all makes it a magical song.
I hope that all of my readers, and most of you I know personally, are celebrating the season with those that you love.  Whether it be your first Christmas together as a new family; your umpteenth Christmas together with your aunts, brothers, cousins, grandparents, parents, sisters and uncles and other extended family; forging ahead as a young professional and celebrating with friends in a new city or you may not have someone to celebrate the season with.  I hope that isn’t the case, but if it is, know that I’ll be thinking of you on Christmas Day.
Because Christmas is the most special time of the year. 
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment